Airfix 1/72 de Havilland Vampire T.11(A02058A) finished as a Swedish J-28C Vampire

Got this as a Christmas gift one year, so has been sat in my stash for a while.

Another one built straight out of the box, but with the addition of some decals from the Xtradecl set “de Havilland Vampire T.55 Pt.1 X72173”.

The scheme I went for is a Vampire J-28C-3 from the F5 squadron, Royal Swedish Air Force at Ljunbyhed, August 1967. The Xtradecal sheet conatains markings for a Olive Green Swedish version, but I liked the high sped silver scheme.

Also on that sheet, there are markinsg for an Austrian, RAF, RNZAF, RAAF and South African Vampires. So plenty of choice for when I build some more.

Anyway, on with the build…

The attractive box art, with a very interesting RAF scheme. From what I have read, the dayglow decals supplied in the kit are very thick and take some work to get to sit as expected.
Kit contents, wel the plastic parts anyway. Not too many parts, so should be quite a quick build.
Various bits and bobs built and painted, plus a bit of a wash added in some areas. Interesting note about the Swedish Vampire’s, they were not fitted with ejection seats!
OK, jumping ahead here, model primed (Halfords metal car primer), and some pre-shading. One thing to note about this kit, is that you have to attach the landing gear legs during the build, and not after, which you can do with most builds. Yes you guessed at, towards the end, one of the legs got snapped off.
Top half primed and pre-shaded.
Silver airbrushed on, in this instance Tamiya XF-16 Aluminium and a start made on the dayglow stripes, which are a mixture of Hataka Luminous Orange (A194) and Hataka Signal Red (A276) which came from the Hataka Modern Royal Air Force Paint Set Vol.3.

The finished kit

Products

During this build I used a number of products, that you also may find useful. To start with, fillers are something every model maker requires, and the 2 that I find the best are Vallejo Plastic Puttyand Standard Milliput Yellow-Grey.

For masking I use Tamiya 10mm tape and Tamiya 3mm tape plus when reuired standard decorating tape. I always, well nearly always, take some of the stickiness from the tape by sticking it to my trousers before applying to the models painted surface. 

YouTube

Airfix RAF Red Arrows Gnat (starter set 1:72 A55105)

Well here it is, my 2nd Cold War related model build. I’ll admit, I had some issues putting this one together. That is not a reflection on the quality of the kit, but on my lack of building skills.

It is actually a very nice kit, with some lovely detail and panel lines, which you’ll be able to see from the photos. However being a small aircraft to start with in real life, it is also quite small and fiddly to build (for me) as a 1:72 scale kit.

Things I would do differently next time I build this particular kit (2 more in the stash), is to leave the main under carriage off until building is complete. I added it as per instructions, but managed to break them when removing the blue-tak that I had used to mask the wheel wells.

Not matter how careful I was with the aerial fins during construction, I still managed to break 2 off, and one almost off. Sod’s law, I lost the two that broke off, but replaced them with some plastic cut from some spare plastic I had.

Paints used were Vallejo grey primer and Hataka Signal Red from their ‘Modern Royal Air Force Paint Set Vol.3’. I first for me on this model, was to mask the canopy and spray paint it while it was attached to the aircraft. Previously, I have always hand painted canopy frames. Can see from the photos, that its not as neat as I would have hoped.

Decals went on well, and settled well with microscale Sol.

Overall, fairly pleased with the end result considering I did struggle at times with this kit. However, still need to improve seam line removal, spraying skills and canopy masking.


Useful bits:

 

 

Airfix Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.4 (starter set 1:72)

I actually completed this kit last year (2017), apart from some non Cold War figures and a Spitfire Mk1 this was the only kit completed in 2017.

The reason I chose the Red Pelican’s, is that I wanted this to be my first airbrushed kit. Therefore I wanted to keep the painting quite simple, in this case just red. Also, I have kept away from any pre-shading and weathering just so I could concentrate on getting the airbrushing right.

The kit went together relatively well, just some issues with the fit of the cockpit tub, which required some trimming. Also the seam line on the nose took some work to hide (not sure I did completely). 

Once built and ready to paint, I primed it with Vallejo Grey Surface Primer. The next step once I was happy that I’d got all the seam lines sorted etc., was to spray the red colour. For this I used Hataka paints, the ‘Modern Royal Air Force Paint Set Vol.3’. (Red set for airbrush).

Both the Vallejo primer and the Hataka red went on well, any imperfections in the finish is totally down to my lack of experience. I hope to see my spraying skills improve over time.

Considering this one is my first airbrushed kit, I’m quite happy with the result. OK it’s not perfect, but I’m still in the learning stage, especially getting the paint to the correct consistency and the right pressure on the airbrush.

The anti dazzle area was hand painted, would prefer it to be better, but this is a learning curve.

Anyway, here is the finished model. I do have some more Jet Provosts in the stash, so expect to see some more in the future.

 

Useful bits:

 

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I’ve got a couple of Gnats on the work bench, so hope to have one of those featured soon.

Happy to take constructive crits.