Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang – USAF F-51D Mustang

F-51D Mustang, USAF Korea circa 1950

This Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang was one of the pair I purchased from Aldi (see previous blog post SAAF F-51D). This kit was built alongside the SAAF version.

Decals came from the same sheet as the SAAF decals. As mentioned before, I was a little disapointed with the Print Scale decals.

The decals are very thin, which is useful as they look good once applied. But boy were they a pain to use! They fold at the drop of a hat. Sadly a couple could not be used as they just curled up in to a ball!

The registration/line up of the USA ‘bars and stars’ was out. I had to purchase some extras from MicroScale decals.

It is a shame about the decals, as Print Scale do some very interesting sets. However I personally will not be buying them again.

I still have a couple of options left on the sheet I purchased (72-300), which I will attempt to use in another build, especially the RAAF version.

Print Scale Decal sheet 72-300

The actual build of the Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang kit (A68208) was quite easy, no real issues to name. The under carriage seems a little fragile, but this seems to be the case with most smaller 1/72 kits.

Painted the aluminium using Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium thinned with Tamiya X-20A Thinner which I have to say, sprayed perfectly for me. Will be moving over to Tamiya paints when I need to buy replacements. For the black areas, I used Vallejo Model Air Black 71.057, which I actaully find sprays OK.

Anyway, lets see the finished article…

Airfix P-51D Mustang (A68208)- SAAF F-51D

F-51D Mustang, SAAF Korea 1950

Managed to pick up 2 Airfix P-51D Mustang starter sets earlier in the year for £4.99 each from Aldi.

The P-51D was still in use during the early part of the Cold War and in Korea.

Now that I had 2 Airfix P-51D Mustang’s in my stash my next step was to find some suitable decals. Came across a set by a company called Print Scale.

Print Scale have a Korean War F-51 set with a mixture of options. My next step was an impulsive purchase without doing any research on the quality of the decals.

On receipt of the decals it was surprise to see that the US ‘bars and stars’ and the Korean equivalent were out of register!

Looking at the photos on the small instruction leaflet of aircraft in Korea, the Korean markings do actual look out of register, but the US were not.

However, the set also included some SAAF (South Afirican Airforce) and some RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) markings, which all looked good.

Print Scale decals.

The build of the Mustang did not throw up any nasty surprises. Fit was generally quite good.

Only issues I had with the build were the under carriage. It was a bit fiddly and feels flimsy.

I found the kits front windscreen was not a good fit. This may be more down to my skill level.

The aerial could not be removed from the sprue tree without breaking.

A first for me with this build was using Tamiya acrylics for spraying. I will admit being really pleased with how easy the Tamiya paints were to spray. Will certainly be moving over to them when I can.

Now back to the decals, they are a complete pain to use, very thin (which is a good thing). But fold over as soon as you try to remove them from the backing sheet. Care is required applying these decals.

Hope to have a USAF version up on the blog soon.

Anyway, the result, for me, is not too bad.

The completed Airfix P-51D Mustang

YouTube

Shop now, pop over to Amazon: