This Airfix Jet Provost kit was completed last year (2017), apart from some non Cold War figures and a Spitfire Mk1 this was the only kit completed in 2017.
My reason for building the Airfix Jet Provost Red Pelican’s, is that I wanted this to be my first airbrushed kit. As the colour scheme is red, this fitted in with my airbrushing plan.
To keep things simple I stayed away from any pre-shading and weathering just so I could concentrate on getting the airbrushing right.
The kit went together relatively well, just some issues with the fit of the cockpit tub, which required some trimming.
I did struggle with the seam line on the nose which took some work to hide (not sure I did completely).
Once built and ready to paint, I primed it with Vallejo Grey Surface Primer.
Moving on to the next step once I was happy that I’d got all the seam lines sorted etc., was to spray the red colour. For this I used Hataka paints, the ‘Modern Royal Air Force Paint Set Vol.3’. (Red set for airbrush).
Both the Vallejo primer and the Hataka red went on well, any imperfections in the finish is totally down to my lack of experience.
Considering this one is my first airbrushed kit, I’m quite happy with the result. OK it’s not perfect, but I’m still in the learning stage, especially getting the paint to the correct consistency and the right pressure on the airbrush.
I hand painted the anti dazzle area on the nose. Would prefer it to be better, but this is a learning curve.
Airfix Jet Provost Completed
Anyway, here is the finished model. I do have some more Jet Provosts in the stash, so expect to see some more in the future.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I’ve got a couple of Gnats on the work bench, so hope to have one of those featured soon.
Happy to take constructive crits.