Spitfire S.31, 3 Division Flottilj 11, Flygvapnet, Nyköping, Sweden, 1949
Not sure when I picked this kit up, but it’s been sat in my stash, and I obvioulsy got it because it fits in the Cold War period.
Built straight out of the box, only addition was some masking tape cut to represent seat belts in the cockpit. At this scale and size of model, adding detail to the cockpit seemed a bit irrelevant.
Step 1 prime the insode areas, such as the cockpit, wheel wells etc., and then give them a coat of Hataka A025 Interior Grey-Green. I hand painted the cockpit details with various paints to hand.
Gluing the main components together, including the transparent areas where the cameras would be located in the real aircraft. Usual use of tape and pegs to hold the parts together while the glue sets.
Seam line and gaps filled and sanded. Small areas I use Vallejo Plastic Putty, which is ideal as it can be smoothed as soon asit is applied. For larger gaps, such as the wing roots, I use standard yellow-grey milliput. Once sanding and filling is completed, a black paint is applied to see if further work is required.
Canopy masked using Tamiya masking tapes and attached to the kit with PVA glue.
Kit primed with Halfords grey metal primer paint. I was too keen to get the primer on, that I had forgotten to mask the side camera window. I then attempted to remove the primer, but pushed the window into the body of the fuselage. I did mask the two underside transparencies, I used Vallejo Liquid Mask.
With this kit, I decided to have a go at pre-shading. Lucky for me,, pre-shading does not have to be very accurate, as my airbrush skills are not up to precise work as yet.
The underside pre-shaded.
As this is a photo reconnaissance aircraft, it has a nice simple paint scheme. The paint used is Vallejo 71.109 Faded P>R>U> Blue. The pre-shading adds a nice subtle effect.
The underneath, wheel wells masked with blue-tak.
Jumping ahead, model given a coat of gloss varnish then decals applied. I used Micro Sol to set the decals, but I really need to use uch more than I do, as they don’t always settle in to the panel lines. A second coat of varnish is applied to seal the decals. I also did a very subtle exhaust stain using some pastel chalk from a cheap set of artist pastels.
The finished kit
During this build I used a number of products, that you also may find useful. To start with, fillers are something every model maker requires, and the 2 that I find the best are
Vallejo Plastic Putty and Standard Milliput Yellow-Grey.
For masking I use
Tamiya 10mm tape and Tamiya 3mm tape plus when reuired standard decorating tape. I always, well nearly always, take some of the stickiness from the tape by sticking it to my trousers before applying to the models painted surface. Another masking product that I used on this kit was the Vallejo Liquid Mask, which worked very well.
The P.R.U. Blue was
Vallejo 71.109 Faded P.R.U. Blue, which sprayed quite well. The interior green was from the Hataka RAF in Africa acrylic paint set (AS08). I’ve had mixed results when spraying Hataka paints, but that may be more down to my ineperience. Youtube